Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2010: Does the internet foster equality?

Welcome to my blog in 2010. Sorry about the delay in getting back online but I have not had internet connection readily available in my home.

Eircom, the largest phone network company in Ireland and supplier of internet connection is being very slow about hooking up my new home with the internet.
Since the beginning of December we are waiting and cannot get any real info. about the schedule for our connection.
Perhaps this is a unique experience for us or perhaps it is a reality of living in the "sticks?"

Is there equality in the realm of access to the internet? Am I being a victim of bias towards connecting the urban areas and ignoring the rural areas? If this is so it questions the argument that internet access can level the playing field for users in remote locations.

No comments: