Monday, December 29, 2008

Travelling through Heathrow Airport

I've always wondered why the gates at Heathrow Airport in London, for travelling to Ireland are so far out of the way and so under-serviced.

By the time I reached the gates recently I had experienced all the newly constructed areas of two terminals as I navigated my way to the "Irish Connections." "Surely," I thought to myself, "my wee part of the airport will be upgraded too." But no, the powers that be don't see the need to service this area of the airport beyond the availability of crisps (potato chips), muffins and Guinness.

So, after walking through the surreal experience of a modern Heathrow airport with minimal construction, I moved through the tunnel walkways that landed me at the "Weatherspoon Express," a humble eatery on what I will call the "Irish Connections suburb of Heathrow." While I enjoyed a big chocolate muffin, the only flavor left, and crisps with a cuppa tea, I couldn't help but blame the Queen for this injustice to the Irish connections area.

If I die before my time, can I blame her for not presenting the option of some healthy sushi, salad or fresh baked potato? Oh well, she did provide crisps even if they were loaded with grease. And I didn't really have to eat them.

She could have left me hungry for the want of a potato - but (this time) she didn't. Or maybe I'm just being too picky.

Now, I wonder who owns the "Weatherspoon Express?"

No comments: