Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Lieutenant of Inishmore at The Berkeley Rep: A Review

As I close in on the end of my first semester teaching at SFSU I have asked the students in class to be true to themselves. I remember my dad quoting Shakespeare (I believe) with, "to thine own self be true."

I have seen many shows at the Berkeley Rep over the years and I love the theatre. The Berkeley rep is a fine place and produces some fantastic shows. I have in my favorite playwrights list at the top both Martin McDonagh and David Mamet.

My inclination is to always find the positive in reviewing any performance, especially theatre, because I believe in the need for it to be supported for survival. But I must be true to myself and review as it is.

So I will focus on the positive...

The special effects on stage in The Lieutenant of Inishmore at the Berkeley Rep are excellent.

No comments: